Environmental protection from productive investments becomes a major task for enterprises and constitutes a critical competitiveness factor. At the same time, the viability depends on the growth capability of all production sectors as well as on the guarantee that the environmental effects will not have a major social impact. The region of Central Greece, presents many serious, several and particular environmental problems. The main pollution sources and environmental degradation factors are:
- Many industrial, mining and energy units
- Non-organized residential expansion
- Absence of urban waste management
- Absorption of aquatic resources by Attica basin
As a result, several problems arise, such as the qualitative degradation of the primary sector, the limited exploitation of tourism resources and the potential ecological collapse of many sea and terrestrial areas. The lack of rational planning, spatial organization and operation control of the human activity effects is the root of the diverse and complex environmental problems.
In this context and especially for the environmental problems in Central Greece, the establishment of an Environmental Geographic Information System (EGIS) is being implemented which will include a multi-level software with all necessary and available open data, including:
- Total existing legislation (Laws, specific restrictions, decisions, guidelines for national, regional and local planning, land use, NATURA areas, specific environmental studies, etc.) concerning the region environmental issues.
- Specific data rules, regulations, restrictions and actions concerning the primary sector activities as well as the special conditions or requirements which are necessary for the operation of any infrastructure (national and local) in this geographical region.
- Existing activities of the secondary and tertiary sectors and their produced geographical influences. Towards this direction, it is necessary to take into account data from other works designed for specific sections of the region (e.g. Environmental Registry for the secondary sector, which has been prepared by the Prefecture of Viotia and also other similar works by the Ministry in the prefecture of Viotia) and launched to meet relevant to those needs.
The main objectives of the project are:
- The actual environmental impact assessment of spatial plans, sector policies and infrastructure, as well as the selection of appropriate solutions by researchers and inspecting mechanisms.
- The valid information about the existing restrictions on the area and technology choices appropriate for the interested investors and social services.
- The elected bodies (municipal, district councils etc.) and authorities’ decisions for investments implementations.
- More efficient processes for the relevant authorities’ audits and management.
- Planning policies for environmental protection and enhancement.
- Management studies and research preparation for environmental protection.
The system will provide information about:
- The environmental status in each location with respect to water resources, soil and atmosphere.
- The existence of significant point (e.g. heavy industries, aquaculture) or diffuse (e.g. informal industrial concentration, mining, fish farms) pollution sources.
- The existing surveys, studies and measurements for the high risk areas under examination.
- The land use and legal status to any location.
- The infrastructure networks.